Wednesday, October 22

October 22 News

I'm giving the whole "blog thing" a try, so please be patient as I try to update weekly. Let me know if there's anything you want to see and I'm always open to tips :)

End of the nine weeks
Nine weeks of school has gone by so fast! The children practiced skills in reading like cause and effect, comparing, sorting, real vs. fantasy, and so much more! They all published at least one narrative story that was to have a beginning, middle, and end. We will revisit narrative writing towards the end of the year. Our next genre of writing will be informational/report writing. They are diligently practicing combining numbers together as well. We have played various games and done lots of activities to help students work with number combinations. Continue to practice all of these things at home to help your child progress through their first grade year with ease!

Canned Food Drive
We are in the midst of a canned food drive. All non-perishable items will be donated to the Mandarin Food Bank. I think this is a wonderful way to teach our children about compassion for others in their time of need. The school is encouarging each child to bring at least one item. Food is to be sent up on Tuesday, October 28, so make sure your donation comes in by then!

Charlotte's Web Day
I have gotten a great response to the evite I sent out from parents that will be attending our special day on Friday, October 31. We have been reading Charlotte's Web throughout the month of October. We will culminate our reading on the 31st with the children participating in various activites to go along with spiders and the farm theme throughout the book. If you were not able to receive the evite, please let me know so I can get a more updated e-mail address from you. It's always okay to send me a note as well.

No comments: